Water Damage and Airbnb Hosts: 5 Ways Eddy Can Help
Water damage continues to be the number one risk facing homeowners. For Airbnb hosts, particularly those that manage their rental properties remotely, water is a huge concern. In fact, a considerable number of hosts in the Airbnb Community Host forum mention water damage as an issue Water damage issues are continually found in the news, like this article and this one and typically result in the host covering damage costs out of pocket – not to mention the loss of potential rental income while said damage is being repaired.
Bottom line: Airbnb hosts are worried about water damage.
According to the Insurance Information Institute and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries, In the US, water accounts for about 40% of all property damage claims in Canada, it accounts for nearly 50%. Each year in North America alone, billions are incurred in water damages by homeowners. How can Airbnb Hosts have better control over water in their Airbnb rentals? Through smart home leak detection and water monitoring, particularly with Eddy Home’s solutions. Here’s 5 ways Eddy can help Airbnb Hosts get control of their water usage, consumption, and the condition of their units.
1. Remote monitoring. Eddy’s technology monitors water usage and consumption in real time, displaying it via the My Eddy Home App. Hosts can see their minute by minute usage of water, determining what is normal usage and what might be out of the ordinary. Our system uses behavioural learning to understand normal water usage for a home. For example, a guest may have accidentally left a water tap running, the My Eddy Home App will detect unusual usage and let a host know of this issue.
2. Proactively preventing water damage. Eddy Home’s technology doesn’t just alert you to the issue, it provides you with the tools to take action. If you receive an alert, you can remotely shutoff the water from the touch of a button, regardless of where you are in the world. Further, our IQ has a built-in automatic shutoff in case you miss an alert – protecting your property, as well as your guests’ belongings.
3. Insights when you’re not there. Most Airbnb hosts are not present with guests. Even those that rent out a room are not at home with their guests at all times, and can’t continually monitor their guests’ activities (nor would they want to!). Eddy’s technology allows hosts to track usage and behaviour, ensuring that guests are not abusing water. Furthermore, appliances and plumbing issues can regularly occur, and when a host is not present it can become difficult to fix before damage occurs. The Eddy Home suite of products provides these insights, so a host can ensure their home is protected from water damage in their absence.
4. Saving Water. Eddy’s customers have experienced on average, a 14% savings on their overall water consumption through leak detection and conservation activities. Our solution can detect even the smallest of leaks – which can waste significant amounts of water over time.
5. Saving money overall. We’ve mentioned the cost savings associated with leak detection and conservation, but did you know that most leading insurance companies offer discounts of up to 15% for leak detection services, particularly those with an automatic shutoff at the main? Faced with substantially more claims and rising repair costs, insurers have recognized the value of leak detection solutions. While coverage varies, most insurers prefer a system that offers a remote and automatic shutoff, which significantly minimizes the risk of water damage to a home.
If you’re a current Airbnb host or considering listing your property on Airbnb, consider protection through smart home water monitoring and leak detection to safeguard your home from your biggest risk.
About Eddy Home
Founded in 2014, Eddy Home is an industry leader in leak protection and water visibility solutions. Our suite of smart products offers a comprehensive water management system for homeowners that protects, controls, and conserves. Our products have saved thousands of customers millions of litres of water by continuously monitoring water usage in their home, and if something unusual is detected, alerting them to the issue. For more details, please contact us at 1 877 388 3339 or email email@example.com.