Welcome back to ‘What’s Your Eddy IQ?’ This week we asked: All Frozen Pipes Burst – True or False?
The answer is … False.
Fortunately for us, it’s a myth that all frozen pipes burst! While pipes do tend to freeze when the temperature dips below freezing for several nights in a row, if you act quickly you can almost always save your pipes from ruptures and leaks.
Frozen pipes are preventable
A little bit of education can keep your pipes from turning freezing nights into an inconvenient and expensive affair. Here at Eddy, over the past few weeks we’ve been blogging about how to winterize your homes and safeguard yourself from unseen and unexpected water damage caused by frozen pipes. Here’s a quick recap of what you should do to stay ahead and protected every winter:
- Avoiding Frozen Pipes this Cold Season – Are You at Risk? – Know how to winter-proof your home and learn more about frozen pipes and their devastating consequences.
- Drip Drop, Drip Drippity Drop… an Easy Winter Fix to Avoid Frozen Pipes! – Make sure to drip your faucets regularly this winter. Also, when things get icy and dicey, Eddy’s quick do’s and don’ts will help you keep your pipes from freezing.
Get answers to all your queries about frozen pipes here:
- Your pipes are more likely to freeze inside your home than before they enter your home. It’s a common misconception that pipes are more vulnerable before they enter your home. To learn more click here.
- A home’s pipes are more likely to freeze in warmer climates than colder climates – yes, you heard that right. To learn more click here.
- Water freezing inside a pipe is not what causes it to burst. Ruptures are generally caused by the inside pressure build-up from newly unfrozen water between the ice and the closed faucet. To learn more click here.
- Proper insulation around the home is critical to avoiding frozen pipes. Weak insulation is a key factor when it comes to pipes freezing. To learn more click here.
- A dripping faucet helps keep the pipes from freezing. So, make sure to drip your faucets regularly this winter! To learn more click here.
- Shut off the water supply when you find a frozen pipe or identify a leak around your home. Therefore, don’t attempt to thaw frozen pipes unless the water is shut off. To learn more click here.
As they say: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
A smart preventive measure you may adapt for next winter will be to install a Smart Water Meter system like the Eddy IQ. It will help you prevent these unseen and expensive ordeals.
Eddy is an industry leader in leak protection and water visibility solutions. Our suite of smart products offers a comprehensive water management system for homeowners that protects, controls, and conserves. Our products have saved thousands of customers millions of litres of water by continuously monitoring water usage in their home, and if something unusual is detected, alerting them to the issue. For more details, please contact us at 1 877 388 3339 or email email@example.com.